domingo, 15 de agosto de 2004

Off to vote

It's 4 a.m. As I've said before, a cousin, my brother, my mom and I vote on the same center. It's not the closest to where we live, but due to the arbitrary changes on people's voting centers made by CNE, we didn't want to push our luck. If we had tried to change it, maybe they'd sent us to vote in Tibet, Paris, Tokio, San Francisco or Santa Elena de Uairén.

No matter the final result, venezuelans are writing the history our kids and grand-kids will learn at school. I justo hope the majority of us stop thinking a $50/month giveaway by the government is enough for a living. We cannot be afraid to change paths just because the opposition doesn't have a clear leader. And moreover, to have a real election, the SÍ must win today. One month from now, we shall get to choose between two candidates. Meanwhile, today we vote for the approval or disapproval of the worst goverment of venezuelan modern era.

I hope venezuelans vote thinking about Venezuela's fate, and not their own. I don't want to live in a country where you must be a chavista in order to get a passport, and that is only one of the many examples of the unthinkable situations many people have gone through. We need the government to promote ways to make people equally wealthy, not equally miserable.

I'll try to take some pics here in Valencia, and will be posting them later on. I'll also post from my cell phone.

Godspeed us all.